Sunday, November 20, 2011

Honey Bee Collection

As a part of an attempt to create several commercial lines, I came up with a Honey Bee Collection line. It features pins, pendants, even rings. I made a rubber mold of bees and wings (the wing master was originally constructed of wire) separately and this allows me the freedom to design and incorporate as I please. As of now they are made of sterling silver but I hope to make some in 18k yellow soon.

One of the most unique aspects of these pieces is that the Bees were in fact cast from a real Honey Bee. These Bees were sourced from the Chinook Honey Company (logo below), south of Calgary and just outside of Okotoks. Working with a Bee Keeper to obtain these specimens (essentially a jar of dead Bees) was interesting and a learning process in itself as I got to meet the Keepers and see the hives. This line also addresses the preciousness and importance of Honey Bees and how they are being severely affected by the Colony Collapse Disorder. For more on the Colony Collapse Disorder follow the adjoining link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder



No comments:

Post a Comment